New course at Harper Adams "Adopting Precision Technology in Agriculture" launched at NFU Conference 2019 - in partnership with the WCFDownload fullsizeoutput_2663.jpeg
Posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2019 4:30 PM
Adopting Precision Technology in Agriculture course launched:
Adopting Precision Technology in AgricultureThere is great interest from farmers globally around the potential of precision agriculture. Around 60% of UK farmers already use some sort of precision agriculture on their farms, but many farmers are still cautious about costs and benefits of this approach. There is no doubt that there are many benefits, including reduced input costs (e.g. fertiliser, seeds, fuel, water, fuel) as well as the potential for increased outputs and environmental benefits.
This course aims to fill the gap between the research, science, technology and the farmers who might use new technologies. This immersive course will enable delegates to use information from their own farms/businesses to develop a Precision Vision for their own business. This will be achieved by interacting with leaders and influencers in the field of precision agriculture, travelling to the Netherlands to see in practice farms, businesses and research facilities and evaluating the economics and practicalities of implementing the technologies on farm.
On completion of the course delegates will:
- Be familiar with the equipment, tools and skills needed to use precision approaches.
- Be able to evaluate and select precision farming technologies and approaches for the use in a wide range of applications.
- Be able to assess the potential benefits and drawbacks of precision approaches on farm.
- Be able to assess the viability of using precision farming technologies to increase the efficiency of existing farming and agribusiness practices.
- Be able to appraise the return on investment of adopting different technologies.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of the socio-economic and environmental impact of precision agriculture both in the UK and Internationally.
Closing date for applications 30th December 2019
Interviews will be held 9th January 2020 at Harper Adams University
First course will be run 3rd February 2020 at Harper Adams University
- 3 February-7 February 2020 Week 1 - Orientation - Based at Harper Adams University
- 27 April-1 May 2020 Week 2 - Visit to Netherlands in conjunction with HAS University of Applied Science
- 22-26 June 2020 Week 3 - Evaluation and Adoption
Please visit www.farmerslivery.org.uk to find out more about the Worshipful Company of Farmers (WCF). You should go online via www.harper.ac.uk/apta for further course details. If you would like to discuss the course in more detail please contact Simon Thelwell, Course Director on 01952 815086 or email email@example.com
If you would like to apply for the Adopting Precision Technology in Agriculture Course please complete the application form and email to Simon Thelwell, Course Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org